Across the Pond0
London has captured my heart recently...
- London is the biggest city in Britain and in Europe.
- About 12 per cent of Britain’s overall population live in London
- Over 250 languages are spoken in the city, making the capital the most linguistically diverse city in the world
- Baishaki Mela – the Bengali New Year – is celebrated in Brick Lane and is the biggest Bengali celebration outside Bangladesh and West Bengal.
- There were 14,350 film “shooting days” in London in 2007, making it the third most filmed city in the world.
- The London Underground, was built in 1863, which is known as the ‘Tube’, and was the first metro of the world.
- The Queen’s official residence, Buckingham Palace, was built in 1702… on the site of a notorious brothel